Wednesday, December 28, 2011

No water? Yes, problem.....

I would've never made it in pioneer days.  I like the luxury of turning on a faucet and getting water.  Of filling a washing machine, of running a dishwasher.  I take for granted the flush of a toilet and a good hot shower.  God knew what He was doing, sending me into this world in 1963, so I could take advantage of all the modern conveniences we are witness to in this, the 21st century. 

I tell myself that all of the years of good clean living and getting myself off the couch a couple of years ago to begin running prepared me for the trials and tests I've been in since losing Mark at the end of July.  Physically, I'm stronger and in better shape than I've ever been in my life; spiritually, ditto. 

But, I digress.  Nope, never would've made it in "olden times."  Case in point:  today, I have no running water.  Oh, I had running water earlier, running down my driveway & down the cul-de-sac.  Called the city, they came to check it out.  The problem is on my side of the sidewalk, which means I have a plumber coming tomorrow at some point to dig up my front yard.  In the meantime, no water.  Had Andrew fill a bathtub this morning, just in case this came to pass. 

That water wasn't enough for our needs, so I went over to the neighbor's house with two 5 gallon buckets, and began filling them.  Fill two buckets, dump them in the tub.  Fill two more, put some in the kitchen, some in the sink, go back for more.  Two five-gallon buckets filled with water are heavy!  It made me glad that I lift weights. 

As I was walking across the lawn, hefting the filled buckets, scripture kept running through my mind.  About the Samaritan woman, going to get water at high noon, so she wouldn't have to run into anyone she knew.  Jesus asked her for a drink, and told her He could give her living water, so she'd never again thirst.  He says, "Anyone who drinks the water I give will never thirst-not ever, the water I give will be an artesian spring within, gushing fountains of endless life." (The Message, John 4:14)

I love this translation, especially the part about it being an "artesian" spring.  Artesian means that the spring is made by boring into the earth (person) until it reaches water (the desired product--soul?), which, due to the internal pressure, the depth of the well, and the small diameter, makes it flow spontaneously, like a huge fountain.  It never ends!  This fountain of unending living water is what I desire.  It's what keeps me "hydrated" on my daily journey.

As I sit, without a shower (I know, probably "TMI" for many of you), dirty dishes piled in my sink, two loads of laundry that need to be washed, and plants that need watering, it hits me square between the eyes.  I take running water for granted.  It's always there.  Am  I also guilty of taking Jesus' living water for granted, as well?  Yep, probably...  I think this is a lesson.   Point taken, God, I get it.  I will do better about being thankful for literal water and for Your spiritual water. 

Now, please, help me get my literal water running back into my home tomorrow...because even though my two boys love not showering for a day or two, I do not.  Amen.

No comments:

Christmas, 2012

Christmas, 2012