Saturday, February 25, 2012

Procrastination, anticipation....

Procrastination:  the act of procrastinating; putting off or delaying or deferring an action to a later time; to put off doing something, slowness as a consequence of not getting around to it...

My name is Nancy.  I am a procrastinator.  I've been one most of my life. In the past 7 months, I've been more of a go-getter....I haven't had a choice.  Procrastination is for those who can afford to let things go, and I certainly haven't had that luxury in most areas of my hectic life since becoming head of household in an earthly family of three. 

But this weekend, the rubber meets the road.  I have procrastinated, in a large degree, about a project that must be postmarked and delivered to Athens TX by the 29th of February.  That's a mere 4 days away!  The project is something very important to me, and I must give it my all. 

On October 25 (coincidentally, Mark's birthday), I received a press release from TPWD.  No biggie, since I subscribe to them, get them on a regular basis as the Outdoor writer for the local newspaper.  But this one was different.  It was announcing that nominations for the Texas Freshwater Fisheries Hall of Fame are being accepted until February 29, 2012.  It goes on in detail to explain that a person, living or dead, or an organization can be nominated.  They will be judged by a committee in various areas, including fisheries management expertise, civic involvement, betterment of fishing in Texas due to the actions of this person/organization, etc.  When I read it, I immediately thought of Mark.  I realize I am a bit prejudiced, but his accomplishments are many and if I can put together this application in time, he might have a legitimate shot of getting in. 

Now, way back in October, February 29th was 4 months away.  I've solicited folks to submit memories, have gone through 20 years of his desk calendars to find specific information, and his lovely regional secretary combed through his performance evaluations to give me highlights from his illustrious career. Local folks have shared wonderful stories.  I have letters from fellow board members, students, folks he mentored, and the general public that have brought me to tears.  Good tears, mind you, but tears nonetheless. 

I've looked through 20 years of photos, both film-based and digital.  I've scanned through years of outdoor columns, tv interviews, and gone through boxes of plaques and recognition certificates from many organizations.  He was one busy guy.  He gave so much to the community, so much above and beyond what his job description was.  I just want to do this right.

But the clock is ticking.  I need to pull it all together.  And I'm starting to panic, just a wee little bit.  The procrastinator in me sees the handwriting on the wall.  At the very latest, I need to take the completed packet of information to my local post office no later than Monday afternoon;  I will gladly pay the exorbitant amount of money to have it over-nighted to the committee in Athens.

I know it will come together, it always does.  I've neglected my housework, my boys, and my running schedule, all in order to finish this submission.

On some level, I think that finishing this application and mailing it in will mark another chapter in my healing process.  I want more than anything to have this man honored in this very meaningful way.  It would be the icing on the cake, a way to cement his contributions for all to see, in the Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center in Athens, TX.

And if, for some reason, he's not chosen this year?  I'll re-submit him again next year.  Because even though I am a procrastinator, I am persistent and tenacious.  He taught me well.

No comments:

Christmas, 2012

Christmas, 2012